HOME

martha

I have a crafting bug right now. I want to make a cool zinc A for Gus' room. Slum I know you have wanted to buy one forever, now you can just make it. courtesy www.lifeabundant.blogspot.com

So here's the step-by-step. I purchased three cardboard "E's" from JoAnn Fabrics. They were such a steal! {Sorry, forgot to photograph before painting, but just picture plain cardboard letters and you get the idea. I'm sure most of you have seen these around in craft stores...}


I spray painted one in a turquoise paint, another one black {I'll get to how it turned "zinc" in a moment}, and the edges of the largest "E" red. All were colors that I already had in the garage.

For the largest "E", I traced the letter on two pieces of striped scrapbooking paper I found at Hobby Lobby and then decoupaged the pieces onto both sides of the letter. {the rusty look was already part of the paper, I didn't do anything there.}

For the "zinc" one {which totally rivals the zinc letters you'll pay anywhere from $18 to $98 for at Anthropologie, even up close!}, I took my "E" that had been sprayed black, and with a dry paintbrush applied Folk Art's Enamels Metallic Silver Sterling acrylic paint. I could rave about this product! In a very random fashion I applied the paint, occasionally wiping my brush dry again. I made sure to let the black show through a bit in some areas. In no time I had a lightweight {cheap! cheap!} "zinc" letter. {And yes, I'm totally planning to exploit this technique on many future projects, I was so pleased with the results.}

NEXT I WANT TO MAKE THIS NECKLACE FROM ANTHRO. ALL I NEED IS LEATHER AND A CHAIN SUPER EASY.
A Fine Fete Necklace

4 comments:

  1. For a minute I kept thinking why does she want to make an "A" for Gus, Don't you want a "G"? Duh, Augustus! My brains not working. What are you doing with the E's. Those are cool I am definitely going to try that I think with some M's. . . for Madi, Meg, and Monster Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute letters. I like how they are varying sizes. Pretty nifty. I love the necklace too. I have been in such a organizing and decorating mood lately.

    I didn't make Macy's ruffle bottom onesie - I bought it at a salon in St. George. We want to have you guys over for dinner soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad we don't live closer to each other, it would be way fun to do crafts with you! They look great!

    ReplyDelete