HOME

Gus' Birth Day


The start of a long but most rewarding day
He came out sucking his thumb:)

It all started on Thursday November 11th at 5:40 am. I got a call from the labor and delivery unit (Kim Postma) saying it was time to have a baby. So we rushed to get ready and be there by 6:30 am. I got there got hooked up and that is when the fun began. They started the pitocin around 7:20 am and didn't stop the drip until 5:51 am the next day. Yep, thats 24 hours of contractions, 24 hours of labor, 24 hours of sitting at the hospital, and 24 hours of anticipation. We tried to get some rest that night, Kyle slept on the yucky hospital floor for awhile. I was going to try to go without the epidural, but had an open mind knowing labor is much harder when you are induced. It was around 12:30 or 1 in the afternoon that I decided the epidural was a much needed drug. I went to the hospital dilated to a two, and at the time I decided to get the epidural five or six hours later I was only a three. I knew I was in for a long labor and was starting to get nauseous because of the pain, so I said bring on the drugs. Little did I know that at 8:00 pm that night I would only be dilated to a four. My Dr. said that failure to progress or being stuck at a four for more than 2 hours would mean I would have to go cesarean. I really really didn't want that to happen. The next time the nursed checked me I think I was a five and things just started to get better after that. My poor mom came to the hospital around 11:30 am and stayed the whole time. My sisters came around 8:00 or 9:00 pm stayed for a while then we told them we would call when I got close. So around 1 or 2 am we called telling them I was finally at an 8 so to come on over. Little did they know it was going to take me four more hours to dilate two more centimeters!! I was reluctant to have the sis' come, but was glad after the whole ordeal it was nice having them there. At 5 am I started pushing and fifty one minutes later I delivered the cutest, most healthy baby boy ever!!

3 comments:

  1. I still can't believe you were in labor for 24 hours! I sure when I'm induced tomorrow it doesn't take that long. You're amazing, I really wanted to go naturally too, but doubt I'll do it if I don't have him before I'm induced tomorrow morning. I'm sure your next one will come much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! I can't imagine going through all that for so long...good thinking on getting the epidural :) He is such a beautiful baby though, so worth it. Plus, now you'll have a story to hold over his head when he misbehaves..."I was in labor for 24 hours to get you into this world. I demand respect!" Happy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 24 hours of labor sounds not very fun. So sorry about that, but the 51 minutes of pushing is great for your first! I was pushing for over 2.5 hours. I would rather have had a longer labor. AFter pushing that long and doing all the little things they have you do to try and push better, all the muscles in my arms were dead and I coudn't even lift them off my mattress for the next week! I am happy it all went well for you though. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete