HOME

Peach Fuzz



Gleaning at the church farm was a hit. I was cursing Kyle and myself for picking so many peaches. We picked two big coolers and a big black garbage bag full of peaches, and I was sick of peeling them after 4 or 5 hours. I dried 2-3 gallons, froze 4-5 gallons, and bottled 7 quarts and 12 pints (approximately). My cute little mammy taught me how to be a pioneer and bottle since I have never done it before. It was much easier then making apricot jam that is for sure. She was telling me she would bottle 100 quarts a day, my response was I would shoot myself before I did that. I think the peach fuzz was getting to me, that sounds a little drastic now that I am all done with those darn peaches. I learned a few lessons in doing this, run hot water over peaches to get the peel off easier, when drying the peaches cut in half then cut the half in thirds. I cut mine too thin and lets just say one full dryer down the drain because I couldn't scrape the peach off of the dryer. Don't put picked peaches in big black garbage bag, they just all mush together and you end up ruining a ton. Don't pick so many next year!

1 comment:

  1. I want to "glean" peaches next year. Remind me! I have something else to add to your remember for next time. It takes a stinkin' ton of peaches to fill one bottle.
    I also learned the hard way about drying. Too thick and they are mushy, too thin and they are crunchy and stuck to the dryer. Oh, how did the pioneers live?

    ReplyDelete